Wednesday, May 11, 2016

on the glory of frequent and unsolicited conversations

I haven't written in a very long time. This blog has served its purpose, which was to grant me an outlet when I needed it most. I am a verbal/written processor; I rarely am able to come to terms with feelings or situations unless I'm able to express it somehow. Now that I'm married, my poor bastard husband hears it all on the frontline and has kept me sane through this intense nursing program (that is now finished! I am a RN, BSN and the world is beautiful).

Recently, I've been surprised on how many people feel safe talking to me. I had so little time in the nursing program that I didn't go to a lot of places and have these opportunities. Two weeks ago or so, I was filling up the mini with gas and a nice young black guy was at the pump next to me, his lady in the car. He was washing his windows and I needed to wash mine too; when he was done, he gave me the wiper, then we started talking about cars. He came over and followed behind me with a paper towel as I washed the windows, making sure there weren't any water lines. He had tattoos everywhere, including his neck and face, and was articulate and considerate. We talked about our moms, and suddenly he said, "You know, you're one of the chillest white women I've ever met." I laughed, we shook hands, I waved bye to his lady (who smiled and waved back), and parted ways.

A few days later, I had a long conversation about the nature of cyclical, systemic poverty with an older black guy at the laundromat who drove a neon green caddy. We spoke for over a half hour, and it was so awesome to learn his perspective. Same for the homeless elderly white lady with an amputated leg. She gave me this open testimony about her history with abusive men, drugs and alcohol, and her nonexistent relationship with her children. It was amazing. And I feel so privileged that something in my nature enables people, literal strangers, to give the gift of their stories to me.

Because at the end of the day, we are our story.

We leave for India next Wednesday, and I'm going to try and write as often as I can while I'm there. I may start a new blog for it, and if I do it'll link it through here.

Make your story a good one, loves. That's all I hope for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment